Spark plugs are just one of the most crucial parts of your vehicle’s engine. They are also one of the cheapest accessories. And your 5.7L Hemi V8 engine needs the best spark plug to run smoothly and economically.
This small device can mean a lot to give you a comfortable ride every day and the best value for your money. But do you know that not all Hemi engines use the same spark plug?
Some Hemi engines use a flat seat with a washer (standard design) plugs: others utilize tapered thread construction spark plugs. Spark plugs also have different materials, which we will discuss later.
This article will enlighten you on some of the best spark plugs for 5.7L Hemi engines, keep reading folks!
6 Best Spark Plugs for 5.7L Hemi 2021- Reviews
1. Set of 16 Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram 5.7 Liter HEMI NKG Spark Plugs Mopar
One of the most sought-after spark plugs for the 5.7L Hemi system is the ever-reliable NKG Spark Plugs by Mopar. These spark plugs have a sturdy nickel structure that amplifies conductivity to boost engine efficiency.
Mopar plugs provide the best fuel economy because of their highly-effective combustion sparks. If you are looking for a plug that has superior voltage amplification with increase engine power and yet not heavy on the budget: this Mopar spark plug is highly recommended.
- You save more than buying in a small quantity.
- Jeep Dodge Ram with a 5.7L Hemi engine.
- The plugs have a high tolerance for stress and vibrations.
- It increases the acceleration profile.
- It lasts longer when properly maintained and used.
- Easy to install.
- Made in the U.S.A.
- Nickel spark plugs have limited usability.
- Nickel alloy is soft and not as durable as Iridium plugs.
2. Bosch 8162 Automotive Double Platinum Spark Plug – (Pack of 4)
Do you own a Chrysler Dodge Challenger Charger Durango Ram 1500/2500/3500 or a Jeep Commander Grand Cherokee? Well, your search for OEM-like or better spark plugs is over. The Bosch Automotive Double Platinum Spark Plug (Bosch 8162) is the preferred plugs by most Hemi owners of these Chrysler models.
We can’t help but agree. You see, the Bosch 8162 Spark Plug has double platinum construction and a machined exterior. The plug provides durability and extended life than any other spark plugs in the market.
- The plugs also work best for select Chrysler Aspen 300 models.
- It lasts thrice longer than other brands of the same type.
- Best to use in trucks and other high-performance vehicles.
- Use German technology in manufacturing.
- The platinum tips (center & ground electrodes) provide an efficient spark.
- One of the cheapest plugs without sacrificing performance.
- It has a nickel-plated shell; more caution requires to prevent scratching of thread.
- Do not fit all Chrysler models.
- Ideal for high-geared vehicles.
3. ACDelco 41-993 Professional Iridium Spark Plug (Pack of 4)
ACDelco has been in the automotive business for over a hundred years. ACDelco products, such as the Professional Iridium Spark Plug, are unquestionable in performance. This spark plug is the perfect fit for a Chrysler Dodge Ram 1500 with a Hemi engine.
The ACDelco Iridium Spark Plug has a fine-wire electrode that propels better ignition and combustion. You can observe that the carbon deposit on the spark plug is less when you use this fuse. Thus, the engine attains better performance even in extreme conditions.
- Best in enhancing fuel economy.
- Ideal for cold starting.
- Sealed-tight against combustion leakage.
- This sparker has a suppressor seal that blocks radio frequencies.
- The suppressor prevents statics inside the vehicle.
- The Iridium construction provides a flawless output.
- It has cleaner combustion, yet it accelerates more quickly.
- Quieter ignition even when cold starting.
- Recommended for old engines.
- Required to check gap after prolong use.
- Gaping requires when necessary.
4. Autolite AP5263-4PK Platinum Spark Plug, Pack of 4
One of the cheapest spark plugs on our list, the Autolite AP5263-4PK Platinum comes in a pack of four. It means that you can have a uniform set of a spark plug in one order for your Hemi. If you want a premium spark plug without hurting your budget, this is it!
The low price of Autolite Platinum Spark Plug doesn’t necessarily reflect low quality. Furthermore, this plug is an improvement from the previous model, offering more functionality than its contemporaries.
- It has a platinum body with conductive copper.
- One of the low-priced sparks plugs with premium quality.
- This version has nickel plating on its exterior.
- Ensured durability due to metal alloy construction.
- The plugs enhance fast acceleration.
- The gap erosion is minimal.
- Made in Mexico.
- It fits only a specific type of vehicle.
- Not compatible with other Chrysler models.
- Take a longer time to install.
5. APDTY Tune-up Kit OEM Spark Plugs (Complete Set)
If you are tired of buying a piece-by-piece engine accessory for your 5.7L Hemi, the APDTY Tune-up Kit is a wise decision. The pack includes 16 Champion Spark Plugs (all OEM-grade) and 16 ignition wires with corresponding COP coil plug boots.
The kit will satisfy the requirements for a good set of OEM-replacement tools. On the other hand, the Champion spark plugs have double platinum construction. The sparkers have platinum center and ground electrodes to give you more mileage without misfiring.
- The plugs fit 2003-2005 Dodge Ram Pickups 5.7L Hemi.
- Also ideal for Dodge Durango Hemi 5.7L.
- The accessories (ignition wires, etc.) minimize engine misfires.
- More tolerable to tear and wear even in the harshest condition.
- The plugs offer stable operating temperatures.
- Plugs have a fine-wire center electrode for increased excitability.
- The kit lets you save a lot of time & money.
- The most sought-after all-in-one kit.
- The spark plugs are non-replaceable by other brands.
- The initial investment may be costly but more economical in the long run.
6. NGK 5464 BKR5EIX-11 Iridium IX Spark Plug, Pack of 4
The NGK Spark Plug Co. Ltd. of Japan has been producing top-of-the-line plugs for over 80 years, while its following is quite impressive. Take a look at the company’s NGK Iridium IX Spark Plug and notice the iconic design.
The design is not just for appearance; the plugs give excellent anti-fouling function. The NGK Iridium IX is well-known to car lovers as more efficient in ignitability and upgraded throttling efficiency.
- The Iridium tip provides consistent sparks lasting thrice as other brands.
- Highly durable to tear, wear, and corrosion.
- Has tapered ground electrode to give less quenching.
- With machined exterior providing flawless thread.
- Easy to install without a specialized tool.
- The insulator nose is longer avoiding flashover.
- Iridium’s high melting point makes it more durable in a hot environment.
- Ideal for modern Hemi engines.
- Recommended for use in cars and light trucks.
- Not recommended for old Hemi engines.
Things to Consider in Choosing the Best Spark Plug for 5.7L Hemi
Forget about the brand; different engine makes require not the same spark plugs. You should know your vehicle well: do you want it to run super fast or just to maximize the horsepower for economical gas mileage?
Premium plugs are those that burn residue almost completely and keep carbon deposits to the minimum. As a result, maintenance is also at the minimum, while the spark plugs are in service longer.
As we have stated above, there are two kinds of spark plugs: standard thread and tapered thread. These designs are not interchangeable. Meaning, your engine is either one of them.
Buy spark plugs that correspond to the size and will fit inside the cylinder head. To know this, read the owner’s manual. Be sure that the new plugs fit the thread in the cylinder.
- Double Platinum: Offers longer lifespan with minimal maintenance. On this construction, the plug has both platinum central & ground electrodes.
- Nickel/Copper: These spark plugs have higher conductivity but lag in longevity because they are softer metals.
However, these materials are for older engines. Also, it is cheaper than other materials.
- Iridium: This type of plug is quite expensive. Modern engines have Iridium spark plugs. The plug has a smaller center electrode but lasts more than twice than other makes.
- Platinum: This plug is more durable than the rest and may last longer with proper care. Platinum plugs leave very little carbon deposit.
Once you determine the three criteria above, it’s now time to buy in bulk since a 5.7L Hemi requires 16 spark plugs. The rule of the thumb is: replace the plugs all at once and not one-by-one.
Buying in bulk will save you a lot, time-wise & money-wise. It will also keep your engine well-maintained.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Why does the 5.7L Hemi have 16 spark plugs?
The earlier Chrysler Hemi engines had problems concerning emission. Additionally, the Hemi engine has two valves per cylinder. To solve the emission problem, their engine designers decided to put two spark plugs on each cylinder.
The two spark plugs on each cylinder initiate two flame fronts that ensure complete and cleaner combustion. Since a V8 Hemi has eight cylinders, you need to have 16 spark plugs.
2. How often should you change spark plugs in a 5.7 Hemi?
It depends on the model year and displacement. However, most automotive experts suggest that a 5.7L Hemi engine should replace spark plugs every 30,000 miles. But this number could be extended or shortened depending on the brand of spark plug you are using.
Some spark plugs are built to lasts while others are more prone to tear & wear. It is better to include your spark plugs on regular maintenance to check their condition.
3. What brand of spark plugs does Dodge use?
The most prevalent OEM spark plug brand used by Chrysler on its vehicles is Champion. However, this does not mean that you can stick to this brand when the time comes to replace original parts.
Over the years, some Chrysler Dodge variants use NGK or Denso spark plugs. But you can switch to any brand of your choice as long as the plug fits your engine.
4. Is 5.7 L Hemi reliable?
All vehicle engines have their issues; the Hemi 5.7L is not an exemption. However, the third generation Hemi V8, if we believe most automotive enthusiasts, has no known design weaknesses.
The 5.7L Hemi is reliable because of Chrysler’s MDS (Multi-Displacement System), an advanced technology that enhances fuel economy, especially models made from 2005 and up.
But this feature is not only where the Hemi engine beats the competition. In 2009, Chrysler further improved the Hemi 5.7L engine making it more environmental-friendly and energy-efficient. The introduction of the Variable Valve Timing (VVT) happens during this time.
The VVT requires three fuel passages and an extension of the front cam bearing on the engine block. The improvement was a boost in the automotive industry.
5. What’s the best spark plug for horsepower?
Every gasoline (petrol) engine needs reliable spark plugs to operate efficiently. Finding the right sparkers doesn’t mean rocket science. If you are not satisfied with your vehicle’s original plugs, several choices are readily available in the market.
Most modern vehicles boost horsepower by using Platinum or Iridium spark plugs. Older models may run smoothly using Copper Core or Nickel coated spark plugs. But it’s not the case for other vehicles. Always check the manual for the right specifications of your Hemi engine.
Know more about a Hemi Engine here:
Our clear winner among the spark plugs above is the APDTY Tune-up Kit OEM Spark Plugs with 16 spark plugs and 16 ignition wires with corresponding COP coil plug boots.
We have been using Champion spark plugs that come with this package since owning a Dodge a long time ago. The included ignition wires and COP coil plug boots are a bonus since we plan to replace them anyway.